I haven’t posted on here in a while: I’ve been busy with doing absolutely nothing (aka holiday). While away in Ireland, I managed to get stuck in to a couple of minis.
Firstly, unamed sorceress from Hasslefree Miniatures:
She’s not quite finished as I still have to do her gloves, leather, hair and hood trim. The dress took me an age to get right, and involved mixing dark red (Warpaints Chaotic Red), magenta (GW Warlock Purple, exceptional colour), lilac (Warcolours violet 1 or 2) and ink washes. It took a lot of tries before I was happy with it. As it is, it could still be improved, but I like it fine now and I can’t see myself coming back to the dress. I might give it one last glaze……
I am very happy with the blue cloak. It is not particularly strongly highlighted, but it nontheless manages to look convincing. For whatever reason, I previously thought blue must be shaded with dark blue: here I gave it a wash of black into the recesses, and it is brilliant. Also, I tried some NMM on the bottom of the cloak. It is an interesting effect that I have a very crude understanding of. Thus, it has not been done very well, but it is so small it carries off the effect better than I ever thought. I built up the gold using shades of ochre (Warcolours ochre 5-1) and glazed it with chestnut ink (old GW, again fabulous), focussing on the high points. I then re-applied ochre 1 to the high points, because I read somewhere that NMM=high contrast. Again, as I say, crude, but I think quite effective.
Because I can’t take pictures for shit, the belt is completely unclear. It was the same as the trim however, applied onto round shapes. It’s a bit bigger, and therefore the lack of proficiency is more obvious, but this is my first time using the technique. I should also point out that a lot of my understanding of the light-play on metal surfaces comes from a Painting Buddha video in which they paint a Space Marine using TMM: I simply adapted the light to go with my motto of NMM=high contrast. Also, that thigh: it drove me insane trying to get the skin looking right. It’s fine now, but I dread having to revisit the face and hands, especially now I’ve forgotten most of the recipe.
Another awful shot of my freehand NMM. It’s passable.
Secondly, we have Red Box Games’ Freyr of the Turning Leaf. Lovely model, packed with detail, which I went on to ruin.
Awfully lit photo no. 1. Not much to say other than a) he’s not finished yet, and b) My colour choice here is abysmal.
Right, onto the dissection. Firstly: technically I feel this model is actually quite good. My layering of individual colours is actually some of my best (bearing in mid this picture is magnified quite a lot. Particularly on the leather, and to a lesser extent the red, I was able to push up a very pale highlight without throwing it off. I used washes a lot more on this model, in a resonably controlled way, such as on the red, and therefore each colour itself has a good transition. HOWEVER: what the fucking hell was I thinking making the red so red, the green so white, the leather so pale? Red and green clash as it is (it’s one of those colour combos that I hate), and the pale leather is very un-thematic. This guy is a hunter, a sneaky fella, and yet here he is prancing around in red stocking looking like Robin Hood. Gaaaaahhhh
(Quick note, I did the face randomly in about 5 minutes before dinner, but it turned out pretty good for the time. I put this down to the pre-shading I did on this guy.
Ok, the red thigh here stresses what I mean. Great transition (by my standards), awful colour scheme.
The back of the cloak caused me some problems. I just couldn’t quite get the shading right or the transistions. The hood was much better, I’m going to blame it on the sculpt. Also notice the sloppy brushwork on the blanket.
Another awful shot of an awful colour clash. Ah well.
So, in summary:
+Time, patience and glazes can make dresses look good
+Contolled washes can make extreme highlights work
+NMM is easier to do on small areas. Free-hand likewise
+Being patient and restarting something that doesn’t quite work can be pretty decent, if time consuming/inefficient (Sorceress skin)
-Plan a project before jumping in, especially colours (I might invest in a colour wheel for the grand price of about £2)
-Get a recipe book so stuff isn’t forgotten
-Take time with brushwork: avoid sloppiness.
And there you have it. 2 nearly complete characters. These guys are going to become part of my “generic fantasy” collection, with a leaning towards doing something Witcher inspired. I am looking at possibly scratching together a Frostgrave warband based around the sorceress.
Next time, I will be going through my recent LOTR purchases. I hope you will enjoy. As ever, comments and criticism welcome.